dinsdag 17 juli 2012

LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR

But let's return to the here and now. It's 6 o'clock in the morning and my view is excellent: no people and no cars, yet. Since I live here, I wanted to change my garden into a little paradise for birds. A fence for protection, some fast growing plants to hide, water and regular feeding. Every morning I welcome some 80 or 90 birds, who come here, from all over town to have breakfast.
I am especially proud about “my” sparrow colony. Officially this seemingly insignificant bird is threatened. There used to be millions, but their numbers are diminishing. By feeding them especially, they survive the winter and their numbers are growing, I count 40 or 50 now, and it's not even August yet. The diversity is limited though: crows and pigeons (3 types).
In the presence of your enemy, you can test and develop your tolerance, the Buddha said. Jesus said to turn the other cheek, when some-one purposely hits you. Nicely said, but we live in days, when you turn your other cheek, they kill you.
I am tested right now. A couple of years ago new neighbors came to live next door. It was trouble from day one. After a while he even physically tried to attack me. When he walkes by (or drives by), he stares at us (the evil eye) as if we were some kind of dirt. That's what we are, in his eyes. He interpreters the fact that I spend most of my time at home, by stereotypes of lazy parasites and being to apathic to work for a living. Never mind. I ignore him, which drives him crazy.
But now he has taken new action by smearing glu on my fence and attaching fishing lines to hinder the birds. I removed the glu, cleared and since then nothing happened. But I am on my “qui-vive”. Gautama was right. This is a test. I have to find a subtle way to defend my birds and our paradise garden. And our dogs of course.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten